Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Colt Training Day 1 and 2: A Rearing Reaction To Restraint

Hello There!
 
   Today, I was very anxious to go outside and train Carmi in his new halter! Has it really been 2 days since I got my halter? Well, only now, looking through my older posts, I realize that I have not had put any posts on the first day of Carmel Apple's training.. or did I? Hmm.. Oh, well! I'll do a quick over view of the first day! P.S. Today my sister saw "Riding horses is a lot like nuts and bolts. If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts." That made me laugh!  

    Day one: I wrapped the ten foot lead rope over his hindquarters and put it in the same hand as the leading hand, my right. It worked rather well that way, and Carmel was pretty calm through the whole thing.

    Day two: Today when I went out with Carmel he didn't want to walk forward at all, so I started to put the rope around his hindquarters, but hadn't even started to wrap it around again, then he bolted!  He did it again too! But was better after the third bolt! Carmel even reared for a moment as he was backing up as fast as he could! Well, I feel like I'm either walking with him when he wants to walk, dragging him when doesn't want to walk, holding him back when he wants to go, or stopping when he wants to walk. I don't feel like we are moving as a team.. yet! He has only had his halter for 2 whole days! And I am impressed! Good job Carmi! <3


        In Christ, Julia L. and Carmel A.




No comments:

Post a Comment